Keeping your home nice and tidy is more important than you think. Not only does it make your home neat, it will also have lots of beneficial factors in terms of quality of indoor climate, and your overall well being.
In this article you’ll get 5 easy steps to clearing the clutter, and improve your indoor climate, so you can improve your life. It’s easier than you think, and it can actually be a funny task. Especially step #3 might leave you with a feeling of nostalgia. Read on, and you’ll get there.
#1 Vacuum Your Floors Daily (And Avoid Dust Buildup)
This first step is quite important, yet most people underestimate it anyway. Vacuuming your floors on a daily basis won’t just keep them clean, it will also help preventing dust build up in certain inaccessible areas.
Dust is light enough to fly around your home if there’s just a small breeze, for example if you walk from one end of your home to the other end, it will create a small breeze from every step you take. Closing a door will also whirl the dust up, and move it to one spot every time.
This means dust will eventually build up along edges and corners of your home, where it’s difficult to reach with most vacuum cleaners.
Make it a routine to vacuum your floors on a daily basis, and you’ll avoid having dust build up in those inaccessible areas.
Here’s what you could do:
- Once every day: Quickly vacuum your floors.
- Once a week: Include the inaccessible areas underneath sofas, beds, etc.
- Once every 2 weeks: Also vacuum your baseboards, shelves, etc.
For this routine you’ll need a proper vacuum cleaner, and it should be suitable for the size of your home, the floor type, and whether you have pets or not. You could check out the best vacuums on our site or similar comparison websites, to find out which vacuum cleaners suit your needs.
#2 Buy Plants and Improve the Air Quality
Having plants is not just for decoration purposes. Many types of plants come with added benefits such as improved air quality, which is great if your home suffers from the opposite.
According to Healthline plants are also known to:
- Increase the mood and productivity level
- Improve your concentration and memory
- Reduce your stress level and fatigue
Here are some of the easiest plants to care for:
- Spider plants
- Golden pothos
- Areca palms
#3 Get Rid of Stuff You Don’t Use Anymore
This is where nostalgia might set in, and you’ll probably find this task surprisingly interesting, especially if you have a lot of stuff hidden away and forgotten about.
Getting rid of stuff you don’t use anymore should be a regular task, which you should carry out once in a while.
Most people have a habit of putting things away when they don’t use them anymore, because “what if I need it someday?”. And then years go by, and all of a sudden you’ve forgotten all about the 20 pairs of gloves you bought from Walmart, because they were on sale.
Going through your old stuff might also leave you full of nostalgia, because most things have some kind of memory attached to it. The teddy bear hiding in the back of your closet could be a prize you won as a kid in an amusement park, or perhaps you’ll discover an old photo album, full of loving memories you partially forgot as time passed by.
To make this task as easy as possible, here’s what you should do:
- Work your way from room to room. Being systematic will make everything easier, as you can focus on one area at a time.
- Mark up 3 areas: Keep, sell, trash. Did you find a photo album? Or something else you actually want to keep? Put it in the “Keep” area. Did you find something, that’s worth money? An old phone, perhaps? Put it in the “Sell” area. What about that old plastic bag, you decided to throw in the drawer for no reason? Put it in the “Trash” area.
- Take your time. This is not an easy or quick task, and it might take you a weekend (or even longer, depending on the size of your home).
#4 Brighten up Your Home
If your home is dark and gloomy, you should consider brighten it up. First of all, it might increase the value of you consider selling it, it might also have other beneficial factors such as lightening up your mood, and make the rooms appear bigger.
Here’s what you can do:
- Paint walls and panels in bright colors. Painting every room in bright colors, such as white, beige or light grey, will make an incredible difference, and your home will instantly feel lighter, due to the bright colors reflecting the lights throughout the room.
- Get rid of heavy dark furniture. It takes up a lot of space, and you don’t really want this kind of furniture in your home. It is also impractical to keep clean. A great and affordable solution could be to cover your dark sofa or reclining chair in a bright blanket, and put a white table cloth on your dinner table.
- Keep your windows clean. If your windows are dirty, they won’t allow as much sunlight to pass through, as if they were nice and clean.
#5 Organize Your Storage Spaces
Keeping your storage spaces organized won’t just make it easier for you to find what you’re looking for. It will also save you a lot of time during those busy weekdays, which can then be used to something else.
Once you’ve gone through step #3, this should be a really easy task.
Think of it this way: What do you usually need, when doing something in a particular area of your home? Perhaps you’ve picked out some veggies from your fridge, and now you want to chop them up for a nice healthy soup. Your knives should be found nearby, and stored with your chopping boards. Those two things go hand in hand, and therefore they should be in the same spot.
You may also have a dispenser in your fridge for cold water, and perhaps ice cubes as well. You’d want your glasses and an ice bucket nearby. You get the picture.
Keeping your storage spaces well organized will save you a bunch of time every day.